Certainly, it is true that platforms such as Wix, WordPress, and Shopify have made it extremely accessible to create a site. In fact, 25% of the network is using WordPress. However, depending on your specific needs and your budget, a professional web developer may still be your best option.
The current modern era seems to have a lot of website creators that make you a very attractive promise: they will create your website in an affordable and fast way. Bearing in mind that to create it you don’t need programming or design experience, you may quickly decide to subscribe to one of those online tools to create your website in your place.
Hire a professional web developer or do it yourself: what to choose?
There are some non-negotiable factors that can lead you to decide whether or not to hire web developers:
Hiring a professional web developer, even for a standard website can make the cost of the site double, triple or even quadruple. You could easily have a website for just over $ 100 (or even less) if you do it yourself. With a developer, it will cost you at least $ 500. Later we will talk about this.
Let’s take a look at your schedule
Yes, website creators have made it very easy and fast to have and launch your own website. However, ensuring that your website is unique to you, that it works well, that it has all the necessary functions and that it has all the necessary content, could take a few weeks or a couple of months. This is especially true if you have a job or other commitments.
Understand what it means to create your own website
Even with a website creator, creating it is a process of several stages and aspects. You will need to:
- Choose a creator: there are many options with their own advantages and disadvantages, from the simple Weebly or Wix, to WordPress.org that requires more involvement on your part.
- Design your site: even with templates at your disposal, you will need to plan a bit on how your website will look and what content (text, images, etc.) you will need.
- Create your site: this process will include collecting your content, creating your pages, creating (or choosing) the layout of each page, making sure it looks good and adaptable to mobile.
- Choose accommodation and buy a domain: you will need to pay someone a monthly fee to host your website online so others can see it online. You will also need to buy a domain name from a domain registrar like Crazy Domains, which serves to uniquely identify your website online (it is like an Internet property). Some creators, such as Wix, include a domain with your hosting subscription.
- Maintenance: The Internet is always changing. Your website has to change constantly to make sure that the functions continue to work and that your security does not become less effective.
Compare the advantages and disadvantages of hiring a professional web developer.
|Someone with experience will create your website.||You will not have total control over each decision.|
|You will have the option of having a custom design and custom made functions.||Advanced custom features will have an additional cost.|
|You will enjoy the tranquility and more free time.||You will need a significantly larger budget for your website.|
How much will it cost to hire a professional web developer?
If you are waiting for a clear answer in terms of hourly fees or a total amount, prepare to be disappointed. The cost of hiring a developer to create your website can vary dramatically based on some factors:
- Country: the salary is very different depending on the country in which you live. However, with the rise of freelance sites, you can technically hire someone from anywhere in the world.
- Functions: the more functionality, the more it will cost you. A website with an integrated store will require significantly more creation time than a simple blog. Security and interactivity improvements and the amount of content will also play a role.
- Design: some web developers or designers use templates (own or third party). If you want them to create a design from scratch or to customize a particularly complex template, it will cost you more due to the extra hours and the skills required to do so.
And what is the conclusion?
Giving an exact figure is not easy. However, a basic website that has a couple of pages, a modern and decent design, and basic functions; can cost you between $ 500-1000 if you hire a developer.
For an improved website with interactivity, a complete store, and other advanced features, you can easily pay between $ 3000-5000. You may also have to pay for a regular site maintenance service, especially if you have not done so at a website creator. This service can cost between $ 20-80 per hour.
If you don’t hire a professional web developer, you may still have to reverse this:
- A domain: 10-20 $.
- A hosting plan: $ 8-25 per month.
- A premium template (optional): $ 25-100.
- Premium apps or plugins: $ 5-50.
You will need to continue paying for your accommodation and renew your domain for yourself, regardless of whether or not you hire a developer. A developer can also charge you extra for creating or using any of the above functions.
In short: hire or not hire? That is the question.
If you’re still unsure about whether you should hire a professional web developer, think about which of the following scenarios you feel most identified:
Hire a professional web developer if:
- You want a 100% unique web design.
- You want to implement advanced features on your site.
- Security is one of your main concerns.
- You have a considerable budget.
- You are short of time.
DO NOT hire a professional web developer if:
- You feel comfortable using a CMS (content management system) or a website creator.
- You have invested additional time and energy to improve your web development skills and create your website.
- You just need a relatively basic website for now.
Think carefully about which of these two categories best fits your current situation and you’ll know what to decide.